1681 BroadwayNew York, NY
scroll down to view more
Architectural Historian, Columbia University
Grandson, Irving Berlin
Jeffrey Eric Jenkins
William Ivey Long
Built in 1924, and opened as a movie and vaudeville palace, it was originally called the B. S. Moss Colony Theatre, and is one of the few theaters that have its entrance on Broadway.
Moss, a mogul who operated a chain of movie houses, debuted the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, "Steamboat Willie", in 1928 at this theater. In 1930 he converted it into a legitimate theater and opened with a production of The New Yorkers, a musical by Cole Porter and Herbert Fields. With one of the largest seating capacities of any Broadway theater, it has been home to many award-winning productions including Les Misérables, Miss Saigon, Gypsy, and Evita.
Eugene DeRosa was born in Italy in 1894 and emigrated to New York City as a child. He began practicing architecture in 1918 and trained in Charles Lamb's office. He formed the firm DeRosa & Pereira in 1919.
Highly successful throughout the Roaring Twenties, the firm specialized in theaters and movie houses. However, the business was largely destroyed by the collapse of the theater market during the Depression. DeRosa moved to London and Naples during the 1930s. By 1944, DeRosa attempted to resurrect his career but died soon after the end of World War II.
© Joan Marcus
Martha Swope/© The New York Public Library
Vandamm Studio/© Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
Friedman-Abeles/© Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library for the Performing Art
back to top